Table of contents
Click here to directly go to the complete junior software developer resume sample
This Junior Software Developer resume blog is the top level resource on internet for candidates who are looking for entry level software developer resume samples and examples.
Not only that, we have also developed a massive repository of pre-made resume bullet points for 250+ tech and non tech profiles to help your create a stellar junior software engineer resume.
Why should you perfect your software engineer student resume?
You should perfect your junior software developer resume as it improves your chances of getting shortlisted for your dream job.
And if you don't know where to start, let us help you with it.
In this blog, we will show you how to curate an impactful JR software developer resume that is optimized for a shortlist.
Before we get into the details, here's a summary of our Junior Software Developer Resume Blog:
- Make sure the resume is well-formatted so that it is easy to read
- Since its a technical resume, create two different sections for key skills and technical skills
- Take up certification courses and add them in your resume for maximum impact
- Use the reverse chronological formatting in the resume
- For entry level professional, focus more on relevant coursework, projects, internships, volunteer experience, etc.
Following these basic steps will help revolutionize your resume.
But to perfect and optimize it for a shortlist, we advise you to follow the resume tips we have outlined below:
- How to optimize your Jr. software developer resume for ATS compliance?
- How to present information under relevant resume sections?
- How to perfect the header, personal information, and profile title?
- Follow the 5 golden rules to perfect the professional experience section?
- How to outline your academic details in the education section?
- How to use a distinct key skills section to present your software developer skills?
- How to create your software engineer student resume summary at the end?
Go to Hiration's Resume Builder to create a stellar junior software engineer resume for yourself.
If you wish to create resume for some niche software developer jobs, make sure to check out the following:
- Software Engineering Resume
- Database Developer Resume
- Oracle DBA Resume
- SQL Developer Resume
Junior Software Developer Salary
The average salary of junior software developer in the USA is $65,001 per year according to indeed.com
According to salary.com, the average salary of junior software developer in the USA ranges from $63,811 to $78,958 per annum.
According to Payscale.com, the maiden salary of a junior software engineer is $53,003 per year. And it ranges between $34,674 to $72,216 annually.
Junior Software Developer Job Description
Here is a typical Job description of a junior software developer.
We are looking for a motivated entry level software developer to join our organization. You need to have good knowledge in coding and design. You will report to the manager and assist the design team with user data management, and modifying software based on senior's requests.
Junior Software Developer Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assisting the team lead with software development and prototype designs
- Understanding client's requirements and writing software according to it
- Gain proficiency in codebase and troubleshoot software programs to fix bugs
- Maintain the codes and monitor performance of the software on a daily basis
- Collect customer feedback and suggest improvement opportunities to the seniors
Minimum Requirement for a Junior Software Developer:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science.
- Basic knowledge of database and email systems
Junior Software Developer Interview Questions
1. What is a Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)?
SDLC is the standard procedure to develop a software product. It has different phases. Such as:
- Client requirement gathering
- Development Planning
- Product Designing
- Product Testing
- Technical Documentation
2. Give some examples of project management tools?
- PERT Charts
- Milestone Checklists
- MS Project
- Status Reports
3. Mention some software analysis and design tools?
Some software analysis and design tools are:
- Data flow Diagrams (DFD)
- Structured Charts
- Data Dictionary
- Unified Modeling Languages Diagrams
- Entity Relationship Diagrams
How to ATS-Optimize Your Junior Software Developer Resume?
If you want to get shortlisted for an entry-level or junior software developer role, you need to perfect your resume for ATS compliance.
You must be wondering: What is an ATS?
Simply put, ATS is a short form for the Applicant Tracking System. It is a recruitment software that most organizations today have started using to conduct the first round of candidate vetting.
In this round, the ATS removes the least suited applicants.
How does the ATS decide which candidates are fittest or most unfit?
It uses three key metrics:
- ATS favors a reader-friendly resume
- ATS favors those resumes that match the JD the most
To enhance the readability of your resume, use sections to organize information. Moreover, present your work-specific information movements. Doing this helps you prove your skills and helps you show how you benefited the organizations you worked with.
To optimize your resume according to the JD of your target job, identify keywords, and incorporate them into different sections of your resume so long as it matches your own skills, experience, and expertise.
Junior Software Developer Resume Sections
We recommend that you use these 7 must-have resume sections in your junior software developer resume to organize information effectively:
You can use our Online Resume Builder to make use of our pre-arranged sections that are positioned right where they should be.
Sign up on our platform and look for our pre-designed junior software developer resume template in the search bar. Once you find it, use the template as a foundation, and add or omit pre-existing content to suit your career trajectory.
Junior Software Developer Resume Header, Personal Information, and Profile Title
The header, personal information, and profile title are the first three sections of your junior software developer resume. Like all other sections, they too need to be perfected. We will now discuss how to perfect them.
Junior Software Developer Resume: Header
The header is the first section. Here's how you can perfect it:
- Do not write 'resume' to label your resume because it is implicit that your resume is a resume. It does not need to be specifically outlined.
- Write your real full name on the topmost part of your junior software engineer resume.
- This should be written in the topmost part of your resume.
- Write your header in the largest font size in the range of 16-20 font points as doing this will ensure that a recruiter can instantly see who the owner your resume is, thus minimizing the chances of it getting mixed up.
Read our Resume Header Guide to learn the A-Zs of resume headers, its importance, and what you can do to perfect it.
Here's a software engineer student resume sample illustrating a perfectly positioned and sized resume header:
This is a snapshot of the header section of the junior software developer resume template that we have made using our Online Resume Builder.
Junior Software Developer Resume: Personal Information
The personal information section is the second section of your junior programmer resume. It should ideally consist of the following details:
- Updated mobile number
- Professional email ID
- Current Location
- LinkedIn profile URL
- GitHub/Kaggle profile Link
Hiration Pro Tip: Research the resume guidelines around the personal information section for your country of employment. It helps you keep your resume informative and to the point.
Here are some rules around this section:
- Use your country’s ISD code as a prefix before your phone number. If you have two or more mobile numbers, add only one mobile number on which they are available 24x7.
- Pick a professional-sounding email ID and present it in your resume.
- Write your location in city & state code format. Doing this will tell the recruiter where you're from and what your location is.
- If you want to, you can include a link to your LinkedIn profile.
- You can also put a link to your personal website or GitHub/Kaggle portfolio.
Here's how to present the personal experience section in the junior programmer resume:
Read our Resume Contact Information Guide to get an in-depth understanding of this section.
To know what a perfect personal information section should look like, take a look at the junior programmer resume sample below:
This is a snapshot of the personal information section of a junior software developer CV template that we have made using our Online Resume Builder.
Use our Online Resume Builder to put together a perfectly fashioned resume. It comes with a pre-designed & pre-filled template that you can easily edit to suit your career trajectory.
Junior Software Developer Resume: Profile Title
The profile title is the third section of your junior software developer CV. It is important and needs to be correctly written because it communicates the following details to the recruiter:
- Your current designation. If you're a Junior Software Developer, write it is as it is. Doing this tells a recruiter your current or last held job designation.
- A Software Developer communicates your functional industry, in this case, it represents that the professional is from the IT industry.
- Your seniority level. In this case, it shows that you are a beginner or an entry-level professional as your job title has 'junior' in it symbolizing that you're still in the early stages of your career.
- Your potential earning income. Junior profiles earn less than senior profiles. As such, writing down your profile title helps you articulate what salary range you will potentially expect from the hiring organization. That said, the salary can also depend on the company. The bigger the company, the higher the salary. However, the general consensus remains that junior profiles statistically earn lesser.
Hiration Pro Tip: Given the importance of your profile title, it should be visible to the recruiter. It should be the first thing a recruiter sees when going through your junior software developer resume.
Here's a junior software developer CV sample showcasing the profile title:
In the meanwhile, we advise you to get your hands on our Resume Review Service to get a thorough analysis of your junior software developer resume.
Junior Software Developer Resume Professional Experience/ Internship
The professional experience section is the heart and soul of your junior software developer resume. It should be impeccable and spot on.
Here are the 5 golden rules to perfect the professional experience section:
- Use one-liner points
- Use power verbs to begin each point
- Quantify your achievements
- Group similar points under a unique heading
- Mark relevant words/phrases in bold
Let's discuss them in detail now.
Use One-liner Bullet Points
When it comes to drafting the professional experience section, people fall into one of these three categories:
- Category 1: Uses paragraphs
- Category 2: Uses multi-line points
- Category 3: Uses one-liner points
If you fall in the first two categories, stop right away.
Why? Because using paragraphs and multi-points makes your resume hard to read.
This is problematic because if this section is hard to read, a recruiter won't be able to read it. This is something that you can't afford because it is in this section that you highlight important career details such as your roles & responsibilities, your work duration, and your relevant achievements.
Thus, your job before you get the job is to make this section extremely readable.
To achieve this, use one-liner bulleted points to communicate your professional details & work responsibilities. Doing this improves the readability of your resume.
Use Power Verbs to Begin Each Point
You probably didn't know this but power verbs are simple action-packed words or terms that you can use to replace average words.
For example, instead of using an average word like "did", you can rephrase it by replacing this word with power verbs like "executed", "delivered", etc.
Some common power verbs are:
If you want to read more here is an excellent resource by Hiration about Resume Power Verbs .
Quantify Your Achievements
The third rule to perfecting the professional experience section is this;
Outline your achievements & make sure you quantify it.
Recruiters don't want to read a bland testament of your everyday roles & responsibilities. If you're a software developer, you'll be expected to be equipped with basic software development skills.
But what matters to them is how effective you are at what you do. If you're able to give the clients exactly what they want. And if you're successful at effectively executing your career goals.
Group Similar Points Under a Unique Heading
While writing one-liner points is a great way to make this section reader-friendly, when you stack a good 5-10 points together, it loses readability.
So to avoid this, group similar points together under a unique heading. This is called bucketing/
Doing this helps you preserve the readability of this section. Moreover, it also helps you enhance the effectiveness of this section.
Mark Relevant Words/Phrases in Bold
Now the next and final step to perfecting the professional experience section of your junior software developer resume is this:
Mark relevant words and phrases in bold. This method is called highlighting.
When you use this strategy, you can successfully highlight important words & phrases in this section.
Doing this helps you attract the recruiter's attention to your key career highlights, thus helping you emphasize those points that you want the recruiters to notice.
So what words or phrases should you mark in bold?
We advise you to highlight your achievements, figures, and your top skills in each point.
Junior Software Developer Resume Sample for Professional Experience
To learn more about this section and learn how to perfect it, read our Resume Work Experience Section Guide. Here's a junior software developer resume sample illustrating a perfect professional experience section:
Junior Software Developer Education Section
Your academic background matters.
This is why you should write important academic information in the education section of your junior software developer resume such as:
- University Name.
- Name of the degree.
- University Location.
- Enrollment & Graduation Dates.
Refer to our Resume Education Section Guide to get an in-depth understanding of this section.
Here's a junior software developer resume sample demonstrating a perfectly-composed education section:
This is a snapshot of the education section of a junior software developer resume template that we have made using our Online Resume Builder.
Junior Software Developer Resume Skills
Your software development skills matter. You should highlight them under a distinct section. Here's what you should do:
- Present your core software development skills under the key skills section of your junior software developer resume.
- Make a technical skills subsection within this section to outline your technical tool-based skills & expertise.
- Don't use phrases like "experienced in" or "expertise in".
Here are some common skills for a Junior Software Developer:
|Jr. Software Developer||Key Skills|
|Computer Programming||Web Development|
|UI/UX Designing||Open-source development|
|Data Collection||Data Analysis|
|Software Testing||Cross-Departmental Team Collaboration|
|Time Management||Mobile OS (iOS, Android)|
|Project Management||Lean Methodologies|
|Jr. Software Developer||Technical Skills|
Read our Resume Skills Guide to get an in-depth understanding of the key skills section of this blog.
Here's a junior software developer resume sample illustrating an impeccable key skills section of your junior software developer resume pdf:
Have you done what it takes to perfect the skills section of your resume? Have you included relevant skills in this section? Is there more you can add to this section?
Junior Software Developer Resume Summary
Do you know what a junior software developer resume summary is?
Simply put, it is an overview of your junior software developer resume. As such, it needs to be bang-on and designed for maximum impact making.
Here are some tips that you can use to perfect the junior software developer resume summary:
- Write the junior software developer resume summary at the end after concluding the rest of your resume. Doing this eliminates the need for repeated revision as you'll be able to compile all important points in the first round.
- Keep it short. A 3-5 lines summary statement will do.
- Take an achievement-based approach to curating the junior software developer resume summary. Doing this will help you outline all your relevant achievements.
- Write a junior software developer resume summary only if you have a minimum work experience of 3 years. If you don't, write an objective statement instead.
Read our Resume Summary Guide to get a better understanding of this section and what you can do to perfect it.
Here's a profile summary for software developer example illustrating a well-written summary statement for your junior software developer resume pdf sample:
Moving on, to make an impeccable junior software developer resume template from scratch, use our Online Resume Builder. Our platform comes with AI-intuitive features like next text prediction, space adjusting, JD-resume match functionality, and many more!
Resume Review Service
Hiration's Resume Review Service is one of a kind service. Here, our in-house team of highlight skilled Resume Strategists take care of your resume and offer insightful tips to help you achieve global resume perfection standards.
You end up with an impeccable junior software developer resume that you can be proud of - all thanks to our expert resume tacticians!
If you have an existing junior software engineer resume that needs the touch of perfection, use our Resume Review Service now.
We will review your resume in compliance with the below-mentioned features:
- Compliance with industry norms
- Content Relevance
- Recruiter Friendliness
- Design Compatibility
- Conversion Scope
- ATS Compliance
- Global Compatibility
- Performance Assessment
- Resume Formatting (font, margins, the order of sections, etc.)
Online Resume Builder
At Hiration, we have worked tirelessly for months and years to perfect our intuitive AI-based Online Resume Builder.
We have worked tirelessly to improve this platform, and what we have now is a one of a king and game-changing platform that is designed to help you perfect your junior software engineer resume.
Here's a list of the features that come with our Online Resume Builder:
- Auto bold feature
- 25+ resume designs
- LIVE resume score
- JD-resume matcher
- 1-click design change
- A sharable link
- LIVE resume editor
- Full rich-text editor
- Unlimited PDF downloads
- 100+ pre-filled resume templates
- Option to save unlimited resumes
- Intuitive next text suggestion
Junior Software Developer Resume Cover Letter
Despite the hiring process has seen a massive shift, cover letters are still as relevant as before. Most of the human resource managers do prefer to read the cover letter before scheduling an interview.
Here are a couple of tips to help you write an impeccable cover letter.
- Try to have uniformity in design of the cover letter and design of the resume
- Always start the cover letter with your years of experience, to make the recruiters hooked to your profile
- Demonstrate your academic excellence and extracurricular activities on the second and third paragraph
- Describe why the organization is the right fit for you in the third paragraph
- End the cover letter with a definitive CTA.
If you want to create a stellar cover letter for your job, you can write it in our Cover letter builder here.
Junior Software Developer Resume Sample
PFA a junior software developer resume sample illustrating what your resume should look like when perfected:
(212) 311 2822
Junior Software Developer
Enterprising software development professional and MTA certified professional adept at developing and designing software and applications to disseminate the market data within the firm. Armed with a diverse experience in conducting research and tests to modify new software applications. Proficient in validating and integrating system into product capabilities for key client projects.
• Application Development • Requirement Analysis & Translation • Research • Automated Unit Testing • Compliance
• Software Design Integration • Debugging • System Enhancement & Modification • Risk Assessment
• Continuous Application Development • Application Maintenance • Computer System Validation
Software: Git, SVN, MVC, Maven, Grunt, REST, Azure
Operating System: Linux, Unix
Junior Software Developer
Soulaid Pvt. Ltd.
Start typing, then use the up and down arrows to select an option from the list
An engineering services company that develops software analytics to protect and advance intelligence efforts with an employee base of 50k professionals globally
Administering continuous development of 2 existing applications by analyzing and identifying areas for modification
Creating, engineering, deploying and maintaining applications to disseminate the market data that comes into the firm
Developing required integration components such as SSO and LDAP while integrating existing software products
Integrating computer systems and managing services for 6 commercial construction clients in the Mid-West
Testing and debugging 2 new applications while administering automated unit testing
Instituting, coding, testing, and debugging new software while enhancing 2 complex existing systems
Requirement Analysis & Translation
Analyzing user requirements and translating them into fully functional features by liaising with the Implementation team
Assisting the Software Development team of 60 in translating requirements and customer feedback into actionable designs
Researching, designing and writing 2 new software applications while staying up-to-date on new emerging technologies
Conducting research as part of integrating design strategies into product capabilities
Computer Programming Intern
Core Industries Pvt. Ltd.
Start typing, then use the up and down arrows to select an option from the list
An American multinational technology company based in Seattle, WA with revenue worth USD 280 billion
Gained in-depth knowledge of Computer System Validation programs & ensured the compliance of regulatory guidelines(Video) Find A Job In 2022 With Career Coach Tracey Ashington: LinkedIn, Job Search, CVs & Interviews
Assisted in effectively assessing regulatory risks associated with computerized systems
Performed job functions in accordance with all applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and federal & state laws
MTA Certified Professional | Microsoft | Jul '20
Microsoft Azure Compute for Developers Certification | Microsoft | Jan '18
B. Sc. in Computer Science
Oyster Harbour University
Start typing, then use the up and down arrows to select an option from the list
A public research university in Seattle, WA with a student base of 43k+ students
Use the template NOW!
Here are the key takeaways of our Junior Software Resume 2022 Blog:
- Optimize your Jr. software developer resume for ATS compliance. To do this, make sure that you look after the readability of your resume and optimize your current resume according to the JD of your target job.
- Whether you're writing a junior software developer resume no experience or not, make sure that you include all the seven must-have resume sections in your resume.
- Do not write 'resume' or 'CV' anywhere in your resume. This is completely unnecessary and a total waste of your time.
- Write your basic contact details such as your email ID and mobile number details with complete accuracy. A simple typo can put you light years away from getting contacted by a recruiter, so watch out.
- Your profile title reflects your professional status and designation. Make sure that this information is correctly presented in your junior software developer resume.
- Write an impeccable junior software developer resume summary to conclude your resume. Highlight your achievements here to showcase your expertise.
- Make a distinct skills section to outline your core software development skills.
- Present the details of your work experience in the professional experience section of your junior software engineer resume.
- Use one-liner points to communicate your work details effectively.
- Highlight the details of your academic background in the education section of your junior software engineer resume.
Implement these steps to make an impeccable junior software developer resume.
Go to Hiration resume builder and create a professional resume for yourself. Additionally, reach out to us at email@example.com and you can get 24/7 professional assistance with all your job & career-related queries.
Build your resume in 10 minutes
Use the power of AI & HR approved resume examples and templates to build professional, interview ready resumes
Share this blog
- Personal Details/Contact details.
- Employment history (Including internships and non-software development related)
- Software Projects.
- Additional Experience and Awards.
- Technical Skills.
- Choose a format. ...
- Fill in personal information. ...
- Add your objective. ...
- Add education. ...
- Consider adding a projects section. ...
- Detail your work experience. ...
- List relevant skills. ...
- Add other sections.
- Coding languages. ...
- Database knowledge. ...
- Data structures and algorithms. ...
- Source control. ...
- Testing procedures. ...
- Debugging knowledge. ...
- Operating systems. ...
- Text editing software.
- Review the job description. ...
- Provide your contact information. ...
- Include your educational background. ...
- Describe your previous experience. ...
- List your technical skills. ...
- Mention any awards, certifications or other related titles. ...
- Describe your soft skills. ...
- Proofread your CV.
SUGGESTED ANSWER: “I am a positive, enthusiastic and competent Web Developer who, over the years, has built up a diverse range of skills, qualities and attributes that guarantee I will perform highly in this role.
- Computer literacy.
- Strong numeracy skills.
- Strong creative ability.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- A logical approach to work.
- The ability to explain technical matters clearly.
Technical skills: computer skills, programming languages, social media, and enterprise software. Problem-solving skills: creativity, critical thinking, and analytical skills. Customer-service skills: active listening, time management, and prioritization. Interpersonal skills: communication, teamwork, and empathy.
A resume headline is a concise description located just below your name and above your resume summary. It quickly communicates who you are as a candidate and, when written effectively, grabs the attention of hiring managers. Headlines are an important addition to your resume.
Profile summary for freshers: Software engineer
The CV presents a full history of your academic credentials, so the length of the document is variable. In contrast, a resume presents a concise picture of your skills and qualifications for a specific position, so length tends to be shorter and dictated by years of experience (generally 1-2 pages).
- A table or other summary of software/tools. ...
- Share accomplishments. ...
- Include industry-specific keywords. ...
- Highlight your tech skills. ...
- Quantify accomplishments. ...
- Tailor your resume to the role. ...
- Highlight education and certifications if relevant. ...
- Proofread and edit.
A profile summary for freshers, also called a summary statement, is a concise description placed at the top of a CV for highlighting a fresher's skills, qualifications and achievements. You place a profile summary after your contact information, making it the first thing an employer sees in your CV.
What a Front End Developer Does: An Overview. A front end developer has one general responsibility: to ensure that website visitors can easily interact with the page. They do this through the combination of design, technology and programming to code a website's appearance, as well as taking care of debugging.
- Format your document. Decide on a format for your resume. ...
- Add your contact details. ...
- Find keywords. ...
- Write your objective. ...
- Detail your experience. ...
- Include your skills. ...
- Make an education section. ...
- Compose a cover letter.
The most extensively used Frontend Language is HTML, which is a markup language. HyperText Markup Language is the abbreviation for HyperText Markup Language. It's a programming language that is used to make websites and web apps.
A: It depends upon the interest and specialization you want to undergo. If you're interested in the designing aspect, the front end would be great. If you're good at logical thinking, API, server management, the back end would be better.
Full stack technology refers to the entire depth of a computer system application, and full stack developers straddle two separate web development domains: the front end and the back end. The front end includes everything that a client, or site viewer, can see and interact with.
There are three main types of cover letters: the application cover letter, the prospecting cover letter, and the networking cover letter. Short emails (we call these “non-cover letter cover letters”) are also an effective and increasingly common way to introduce your resume.
- Write a new cover letter for each application. ...
- Address the hiring manager by name. ...
- Follow the instructions. ...
- Highlight specific, relevant skills. ...
- Use simple and affirmative language. ...
- Proofread your cover letter. ...
- Don't mention what you lack. ...
- Limit your content.
A cover letter is used to demonstrate your interest in the role, passion for the company, and the impact you've had in previous positions. Cover letters should include a standout opening, relevant skills and qualifications, and a strong finish with a call-to-action — all within one page and unique to each application.